I never thought to incorporate this recipe in my blog. But I was writing other day and mentioned them and realised not all from other cultures are exposed to these. Begun vaja or fried brinjal is a popular Bengali preparation and goes typically well with Luchi (deep fried flat wheat bread) and khichdi. So here it goes…..
Brinjal/ Eggplant fruit 1 (medium to big)
Salt To taste
Turmeric powder 2 tsp
Black cumin/ Kalo jeera/ Nigella seeds 1/2 tsp
Corn flour 3 tsp
Rice flour(optional)/chaler guri 2 tsp
Mustard or Refined oil For deep-frying
Preparation time: 15 minute
- Wash and slice brinjal in circular discs of 1 inch or lesser thickness.
- Add all other ingredients except cooking oil and mix well. Take special care so that the slices are not bruised during mixing,
- Deep fry them in oil until brown.
- Place on tissue paper to soak excess oil.
- Your crunchy begun Vaja is ready. Serve hot.